We are looking for a new Director of Music Ministry.
Purpose of the position
The Director of Music Ministry (DMM) is responsible for the supervision, development, and direction of all sacred music ministries of the Church. The DMM is also responsible for accompanying choral and corporate singing on piano and, if possible, organ during Sunday worship and special worship services.
The incumbent will strive to support the overall mission goals of the congregation while developing engaging and diverse musical offerings. The DMM will contribute to the church’s overall ministry, utilizing music ministries to promote Christian growth and enhance its mission and outreach. The DMM will also foster community that promotes the fellowship and nurture of every member.
- Plan music for all worship services, including special services (Advent, Christmas Eve, Holy Week, Easter, etc.), based on direction from the Head of Staff and Relationship with God Elder Panel. Select a wide range of musical styles consistent with the PC(USA)Directory for Worship that is responsive to the varying musical preferences and abilities of the congregation.
- Conduct rehearsals and musical offerings of the adult choir (1 hour/week).
- Direct and/or collaborate with others in directing Children’s and Hand Bell Choirs (1 hour/week). This includes coaching, directing, mentoring, and recruiting.
- Teach and demonstrate music theory, technique, and interpretation to the various choirs and groups.
- Provide opportunities and support for musicians of different instruments and skill levels.
- Schedule substitute musicians when DMM is on vacation, or choir is on summer hiatus.
- Participate in staff, Session, and other meetings as requested by Head of Staff.
- Plan and coordinate special musical events with the approval of the Head of Staff and/or the Relationship with God Elder Panel.
- Develop and maintain a professional improvement plan to keep current with varied genres and formats of sacred music.
- Organize and maintain CPC music library.
- Recommend and ensure the maintenance and repair of church music ministry resources including organ, piano, bells, robes, etc.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Head of Staff, Relationship with God Elder Panel, and/or Session.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Commitment to Jesus Christ.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to consider, assess, and implement new and innovative methods and programs to enhance the music ministry and worship of the church.
- Effective planning and organizational skills.
- Proven interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Proficiency in piano.
- Proficiency in organ desired.
- Experience in vocal and instrumental music direction.
- Skill in choir training and appropriate music selection.
- Proficiency in hand bells desired.
- Desire to expand technical abilities to meet the dynamic needs of the music ministry.
- Experience as a Director of Music or church accompanist desired.
- Familiarity with Presbyterian Church (USA) worship desired.
This position pays $30/hour and requires approximately 10 hours/week. More hours will be required during the seasons of Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter.
Send resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.